Hamilton family dentist explains why good dental hygiene is important for ongoing oral health
Dentists will tell you that the most important part of having optimal oral health is prevention. Here at Dentistry on Parkdale, located in Hamilton, ON, we strongly believe that this is one of the most important steps for maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile for life. We ensure that we take the time to explain why good dental hygiene is crucial to every patient. It is necessary to understand exactly what we mean by dental hygiene, tips on how to develop and maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine, why it’s so important, and how we can help make it an integral part of your life.
What dental hygiene is:
Dental hygiene is defined as the practice of keeping teeth, mouth, gums, and tongue clean and healthy. Practicing great oral care is important to preventing dental issues.
Tips on caring for your beautiful smile:
- Brushing twice daily: You should brush your teeth twice daily for a period of at least two minutes, spending equal time on each portion of your teeth. Brush all surfaces of your teeth, including sides and tops of them.
- Floss once daily: It’s important to remember to floss each tooth, even the very back ones. Use approximately forty-five centimeters of floss, wrapping the ends around your fingers and sliding it gently between each tooth. Follow the curve of the tooth to ensure maximum plaque removal.
- Cleaning your tongue: Bacteria can grow on the tongue, causing issues with your teeth. It’s important to either use your toothbrush to brush your tongue in circular motions or use floss or a tongue cleaner to scrape and clean the tongue. Rinse your mouth when finished.
- Maintain a regular check-up routine: It’s important to see your dentist on a regular basis to have your teeth professionally cleaned as well as to ensure that there are no problems developing with any of your teeth, gums, or mouth.
- Eat a healthy and nutritious diet: Avoiding sugary beverages and snacks can help you keep your teeth and gums healthy and strong.
Why oral hygiene is the most important part of great oral health:
If we do not care for our mouths, they can become breeding grounds for plaque-causing bacteria. Plaque is a sticky film that forms on our teeth and can invade our gums. As it sits on the teeth, the bacteria can begin eroding holes into the teeth, causing cavities. As it burrows into the gums, it can lead to gingivitis or periodontal disease. More importantly, scientists continue to find more and more links between oral health and total systemic health. An unhealthy mouth could potentially contribute or lead to serious physical health problems, including, but not limited to heart attack, difficulty managing diabetes, preterm births, and strokes.
A healthy mouth not only helps you maintain a better state of overall health, it helps save money and time as well. Unhealthy teeth and gums lead to increased dental procedures needed, eating into your valuable time and money!
Why Dentistry On Parkdale is a great place to be!
- Our commitment to comfortable care: We strive to make each visit as pleasant and comfortable as possible. We help achieve this by concentrating on patient education as well as little touches such as the option of nitrous oxide sedation for those suffering from dental anxiety.
- Convenient location: Our location is easy to find and get to. We provide our patients with free parking to help make it even easier!
- Care for the whole family: It can be a hassle shuttling each member of the family to different dental providers. Dr. Ho has fifteen years of experience providing dental care to patients of all ages, from the littlest to the eldest. We believe that consistency in care from childhood on helps contribute to a child’s lifelong comfort and ease in dental visits and maintaining outstanding oral health.
- Comprehensive cleanings: Our hygienists are meticulous in providing a complete preventive care exam, including but not limited to a careful cleaning of your teeth and an oral cancer check.
We encourage you to call us today to schedule your appointment. Let Dentistry on Parkdale help you love your smile! Call us now at 905-547-4940.