Maintaining a healthy smile is easy with a proper oral hygiene routine at home. Dr. Karen Ho and her team at Dentistry on Parkdale in Hamilton, ON works regularly with individuals in the community to teach them how to maintain proper dental health. Below are a few recommendations for patients interested in learning the ways in which they can improve their current routine and start taking the steps to prevent problems such as tooth decay and periodontal disease.
Recommendations for maintaining a healthy smile:
- Brush after every meal. Sometimes this is unrealistic depending on your current situation, but most patients are encouraged to brush at least twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. This removes sugars and acids from the surfaces of the teeth and gums that can contribute to the development of periodontal disease and tooth decay, two conditions that significantly impact the health of the smile.
- Floss at least once a day. Flossing correctly is key to removing food particles that can become stuck between the teeth and cause plaque and tartar to form. Flossing may include the use of traditional floss thread or use of a Waterpik.
- Consider your instruments and tools. Using the right tools helps in ensuring proper routine. Always utilize a soft-bristled toothbrush and avoid brushing aggressively as this can aggravate and inflame the soft tissues of the gums. Use a Waterpik if flossing is difficult for you, and make sure to change your toothbrush regularly. It is recommended to change your toothbrush every three months and whenever you are overcoming an illness (as one can be reinfected with the use of a toothbrush after illness).
- Keep regular appointments with your dentist. It is recommended that patients visit their dentist every six months for a routine checkup and cleaning. This allows our team to spot the early signs of certain conditions such as periodontal disease and tooth decay which can cause damage to the smile.
- Call the dentist when a problem arises. If you are noticing issues such as sensitive teeth, pain, or inflamed gums, do not wait until your next recall appointment to have it evaluated. Patients who are proactive about taking care of their smiles will enjoy less dental costs over the course of a lifetime. Issues that arise need to be diagnosed and treated as soon as possible to improve the chances of quickly restoring the smile back to health. Certain conditions caught early on is vital to providing fast treatment and avoiding higher dental bills with more damage that can occur with time.
Are you ready to take charge of your dental health?
Developing an oral hygiene routine that maintains dental health is vital to ensuring a lifetime of beautiful smiles. If you live in Hamilton, ON and are ready to work with a dentist who provides quality care for new and established patients, we welcome you to book an appointment with Dr. Karen Ho and her team today. Call 905-547-4940 and request a consultation visit at 21 Parkdale Avenue South.
Back to Dental Hygiene Page
Dr. Karen Ho is a trusted dentist serving patients of all ages in Hamilton, Ontario. Having studied at prestigious institutes such as McMaster University and University of Toronto and trained at Hartford Hospital (General Practice Residency), she opened her private practice in 2003.
Dr. Ho is committed to lifelong learning as she believes that she can serve her community better by constantly updating herself. She is affiliated with many professional organisations like the Academy of General Dentistry, Institute for Clinical Practice of Pediatric Dentistry, The Dawson Academy Study Club, Niagara Peninsula Dental Diagnostic Study Club, Hamilton Chapter of the Seattle Study Club (Founding Member), and Boston and Tufts Universities.